Ashley Wyckoff, Bachelor of Science
Could a widespread organic nutritional supplement enable people contaminated with Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV)? The Epstein-Barr virus is a member of the herpes virus household. People today with an energetic infection can working experience exhaustion, fever, and usually non-particular indications that are typically mistaken for other prevalent sicknesses.1 Worry, sickness, or other states of depressed immune method may activate EBV in individuals.2 Considering that ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) may help relieve strain, lower cortisol, and increase fatigue, it could be regarded as a useful choice for handling the most important signs of EBV and probably assisting to prevent viral reactivation.
Epstein-Barr Virus: Prevalence, Symptoms, and Signs
Around 90% of the population is contaminated with Epstein-Barr virus.3 A lot of people today do not existing with any signs and symptoms (i.e. the virus is latent but may well activate or reactivate less than several conditions). The virus mainly spreads by using bodily fluids (saliva, blood, sexual make contact with).1 There is no treatment method or vaccine versus EBV. You can enable avert the unfold by not kissing, sharing foodstuff or a toothbrush, and many others. with someone who is unwell. If you are presenting symptoms, stay hydrated, rest, and get OTC remedies for discomfort and fever.1 EBV can also cause mononucleosis (mono) and other diseases. EBV can be challenging to diagnose, for the reason that its signs can be linked with other sicknesses.
Typical Signs of Epstein-Barr Virus:
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Sore throat
What Results in EBV to Turn into Lively?
A weakened immune system can induce the virus to come to be lively. Continual greater tension hormones like cortisol, epinephrine, and norepinephrine can result in your immune method to weaken. In a person review, the participants with elevated cortisol and epinephrine levels suffered from bigger premiums of acute EBV infection and viral reactivation compared to topics with normal stages (P < 0.001).3 After it was observed that astronauts often suffered from depressed immune systems during/after spaceflight, researchers linked EBV reactivation to increased urinary epinephrine and norepinephrine.4
How Ashwagandha Helps Relieve Stress and Fatigue
One of the most widely known supplements, ashwagandha, has been shown to improve stress markers in several clinical trials. In one randomized controlled trial (RCT) with 98 participants, it was demonstrated that ashwagandha extract reduced stress and anxiety scores, serum cortisol levels, pulse rate, and blood pressure.5 In another RCT with 64 participants, it was demonstrated that ashwagandha reduced stress scores and serum cortisol levels.6 Recently, another clinical trial in 60 participants confirmed the anxiety- and cortisol-reducing effects of ashwagandha.7 Ashwagandha may also improve fatigue: in an RCT with 75 participants, ashwagandha (in combination with a multivitamin and relaxation therapy) reduced anxiety scores, fatigue, and improved quality of life more than relaxation therapy and placebo.8
More on ashwagandha:
- Also referred to as Indian ginseng and winter cherry
- May also support memory and cognitive function9
- Can cost as little as $0.22 per day
- Classified as an adaptogen (plants known for helping people adapt better to stress)
- Withanolides, the active components of ashwagandha, can cross the blood brain barrier and may exert neuroprotective effects10
The Bottom Line
There is a need for clinical studies directly linking ashwagandha and EBV, however based on the benefits of ashwagandha, it could prove to be a promising natural way to help relieve stress and fatigue connected with EBV.
About the Author: Ashley Wyckoff, B.S., is a product operation specialist at Life Extension headquarters in South Florida. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Biology from the University of Florida. In her spare time, she enjoys hiking, reading and yoga to keep her mind and body healthy. She believes in equal access to quality healthcare and it is her goal to make it a reality.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV). https://www.cdc.gov/epstein-barr/about-ebv.html. Published 2018. Accessed 1/22/2020.
- Kerr JR. Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) reactivation and therapeutic inhibitors. J Clin Pathol. 201972(10):651-658.
- Coskun O, Sener K, Kilic S, et al. Stress-related Epstein-Barr virus reactivation. Clin Exp Med. 201010(1):15-20.
- Stowe RP, Pierson DL, Barrett AD. Elevated stress hormone levels relate to Epstein-Barr virus reactivation in astronauts. Psychosom Med. 200163(6):891-895.
- Auddy B, Hazra J, Mitra A, Abedon B, Ghosal S. A standardized Withania somnifera extract significantly reduces stress-related parameters in chronically stressed humans: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. The Journal of the American Nutraceutical Association 200811(1):50-56.
- Chandrasekhar K, Kapoor J, Anishetty S. A prospective, randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and efficacy of a high-concentration full-spectrum extract of ashwagandha root in reducing stress and anxiety in adults. Indian J Psychol Med. 201234(3):255-262.
- Lopresti AL, Smith SJ, Malvi H, Kodgule R. An investigation into the stress-relieving and pharmacological actions of an ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) extract: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Medicine. 201998(37):e17186-e17186.
- Cooley K, Szczurko O, Perri D, et al. Naturopathic care for anxiety: a randomized controlled trial ISRCTN78958974. PloS one. 20094(8):e6628.
- Choudhary D, Bhattacharyya S, Bose S. Efficacy and Safety of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera (L.) Dunal) Root Extract in Improving Memory and Cognitive Functions. Journal of dietary supplements. 201714(6):599-612.
- White PT, Subramanian C, Motiwala HF, Cohen MS. Natural Withanolides in the Treatment of Chronic Diseases. Advances in experimental medicine and biology. 2016928:329-373.